Thursday, February 03, 2005

Chipper Willing to take Pay Cut to Help Keep Hudson

Hudson gives Braves March 1 deadline (AJC)

Braves newcomer Tim Hudson is so impressive, teammate Chipper Jones is ready to consider financial concessions to help keep the pitcher in Atlanta beyond 2005. "I know that call's coming - 'Hey, Chip, we need a little help here,' " Jones said Wednesday on the first day of Leo Mazzone's pitching camp at Turner Field.

Hudson's agent gave the Braves until March 1 to sign the Alabama native to an extension or expose him to free agency next winter, the same deadline he gave Oakland before the Athletics traded Hudson to Atlanta in December.

Braves general manager John Schuerholz said the deadline isn't a problem because, "It shouldn't take any more time than that to either decide we can or can't [re-sign him]."

If Hudson becomes a free agent, the New York Yankees would likely be among his suitors and he could expect to command between $50 million over four years and $65 million over five. Some believe his price tag could go even higher.

Hudson threw hard in an indoor batting cage on a cold, dreary day, wearing no ballcap on his shaved head. "I feel almost like a rookie again," he said. "It's great to be here. I just want to get my feet wet, meet everybody in the organization."

He was introduced to Jones, the Braves' highest paid player, who's owed $32 million over the next two seasons and has $15 million vesting clubs options in 2007 and 2008. He could restructure his contract to clear up funds for a Hudson offer.

"Maybe a little rebate so we can sign him," said Jones, the only non-catcher who showed up Wednesday, doing some hitting and pronouncing himself healthy.

"Whatever [it takes]," Jones said. "I'm game. I've made no bones about it - my family loves it here, and I love playing here. I've made sacrifices before, and I'm open to more if it'll help bring guys in or keep them. I want to win."


That's mighty decent of Chipper, especially since the Braves have never flinched at getting rid of a star player, no matter how loyal and popular, when he got too expensive to fit the budget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home